There are many options available when it comes to choosing a roofing material for your home or business. Metal roofing is a popular choice. Metal roofing has come a long way in the last century. Metal roofing was a very popular roofing material in the 20th century.
Metal roofs have many advantages, including:
- Longevity. Metal roofs can last between 40 and 70 years depending on their material. The life expectancy for traditional asphalt roofing materials is approximately 12-20 years.
- Durability. Metal roofs can withstand wind speeds up to 140 mph, and won’t corrode, crack, or be damaged by impact, depending on the metal you choose.
- Safety. Metal roofs won’t ignite or spark into flames in the event of a wildfire, lightning strike, or other similar events.
- Energy efficiency. Solar radiant heat can be reflected from metal roofs, which can help reduce cooling costs by between 10 and 25%.
- Environmentally friendly. Metal roofs can be recycled between 25-95% depending on their material. They are also recyclable 100% at the end.
Metal roofs can have their advantages and drawbacks.
- Affordability. Metal roofs are more expensive than other roofing materials. A metal roof lasts a lot longer than other roofing materials. However, it is worth the investment if you intend to live in your home for long-term cost savings.
- Noisiness. Metal roofs can make it very noisy during heavy rain or hailstorms. This problem is usually solved by adding insulation to the roof during installation, although this can increase costs.
- Inconsistency in color matches. It may prove difficult to match the metal to a new one if a home is extended or repaired.
- Performance. Poor-quality roof installation or repair can lead to water accumulation and eventually, serious damage. Low-grade metals can also be less durable and thinner. Certain metals may rust or dent in particular climates.
This post was written by a roofing specialist at All-Star Roofing. We offer the best roofing in Pinellas County. We are a family owned and operated roofing business, striving to be the best in our industry. Our family has been in the Tampa Bay area for over 60 years, and our objective has always been to provide roofing services at a fast, reliable, and competitive rate. All-Star has a tradition of quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties.